PETALING JAYA: Police have rubbished claims that an OCPD was a suspect in an abuse case involving an Indonesian maid.
Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Arjunaidi Mohamed said police detected these claims recently.
“These allegations are slanderous and an attempt to taint the image of the police force.
“We urge the public and media practitioners to not speculate and circulate inaccurate facts on the case
“The police will not hesitate to take stern action against anyone who attempts to manipulate and distort facts of any news,” he said in a statement on Thursday (Sept 8).
Comm Arjunaidi said following the report lodged by the victim, police arrested a couple aged 35 and 38.
“Both suspects were charged under Section 13 of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act for trafficking a person for exploitation as forced labour.
“The 35-year-old suspect was also charged under Section 326 of the Penal for voluntarily causing grievous hurt,” he said, adding that both suspects claimed trial to the charges.
He added that the victim sought treatment at the Selayang Hospital and was now placed at the Special Safe House for Women at Kuala Lumpur.
It was reported that police have arrested a woman after she allegedly physically abused her maid for years.
In a statement on Saturday (Sept 3), Gombak acting police chief Supt Noor Ariffin Mohamad Nasir said that the victim, a 46-year-old Indonesian woman, had filed a report on Aug 31 after running away from her employer.
The report stated that she had been physically abused at her place of employment at a house in Batu Caves. Investigations showed that she has been working with a local woman since October 2019, and had been beaten since then.
On Sept 1, police arrested a 35-year-old woman and she has been remanded until Sept 5.
Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri M. Saravanan said that the victim had not been paid her wages, in addition to being physically abused. He also named two people as the alleged suspects in his statement on Friday (Sept 2).